Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy Birthday DAD - August 16th,1930

When I visited last in Oct 2006, Dad wanted to take me to see a few things. It was an awesome bonding experience. We headed up the Ogden mountains and ate a little cafe up in the hills. Then we headed to the ski resort that has been used for the Olympics. It was the perfect day. The leaves were all turning the colors of fall. Headed down the old freeway... can't remember what he told me about that but then all of a sudden we were in tremonton. We drove by the farm he grew up on (which is the picture above) in Garland. The farm was huge and still quaint. We drove by Grandma Claire's. Has been fixed up a bit. The big tree in front was gone. Just wasn't the same as it used to be. He told me a story about the invasion of rabbits on the farms and how they took care of that situation, but I won't elaborate. I was in horror at hearing the whole ordeal. And of course we had to stop at the old shop off of the Freeway to have the Ice Cream before we left like we always used to do in the old days. It was a very special day I won't forget.

Here is dad in 1932 with his mom and in July of 1943 with his father bringing in the milk.
Not sure what the picture is of Dad in the (sports uniform?) but it was taken in 1951 and then we have the lovely Wassom family with the hip glasses and gangsta wear in 1967.


I still don't understand how to get these darn pictures exactly where I want them. And why that darn text is way up there. So frustating. Anyhow, I had to throw a picture of my cute little self with dad in. Afterall it is my blog, and it was taken right before my baptism in Feb 1972.

Dad was in the Korean war between 1948-1952. This picture in his dapper uniform was taken at Fort Ord in 1949.
I am very glad that me and dad took that time to get to know each other a little better. Upon until then we only spoke every 6 months or so and never had anything to talk about. Since then we have talked about every month and couldn't stop talking. I have only talked to him once since his fall in Nevada. Its just too painful to sit in almost complete silence and hear him going in and out of reality. I know and pray that he is getting better. I do plan to come out later this year. Most likely for Thanksgiving. I was going to drive out for his birthday and surprise everybody today, but so much going on right now that I couldn't take the time off.
Happy Birthday Dad. I miss and Love you very much... I just got teary eyed there. what a wimp.

6 comments:

Tilley/Booth said...

Great job Jef...what an awsome present for him and us! Now get out to see us big mamma! Love you. Jo

Grandmajoann said...

Nice remembrances. Thanks. Sorry you couldn't make it now and again later. I am very glad you are in a better place with your dad now. And, I am glad you are just, plain, in a better place all around now.
Love ya Bunches.....Mom

~Cynthia~ said...

What a fun thing to see. Good job!! Now, what I want to know is, how did I get to be 52 years old, and I have never been taken to see the farm dad grew up on in Tremonton???...goodness gracious, I didn't even know there was a farm in Tremonton. I'm so old, I don't know if it is something I just forgot or something I never knew. Thanks for posting that picture, I might have to take a field trip to Tremonton!

Ang said...

I loved to see all the pictures. Grandpa was quite the hotty back in the day!

How great to have such wonderful memories, and I am so glad you posted them for us to see.

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

Sheryl said...

Awesome! And, either Cynth and I have both just forgotten more than we know or neither of us have ever seen this farm.

I would love to know where it is and see it for myself. I've always known there was a farm, just didn't know where it is or that it might STILL be a farm.

Jessica said...

That is great of you to dig up all the old photos they are so neat to see. You did a great job.