Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Labor Day Trip

So here's the proof that I did indeed make it out to Phoenix.

Our vacation got off to a rocky start. We didn't leave until 5pm friday night, so I took the whole day off for nothing. We stopped in Yuma for dinner and I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak which quite frankly looked like roadkill with gravy on it. When we finally arrived we thought we were staying at the Camelback Inn which is $500 a night room. I kind of knew that we had booked the wrong place as soon as I entered the address into our GPS at the beginning of the night. Kept my mouth shut not to ruin anyones faith.

So we arrive at the Camelback Inn around midnite and they tell us that the room we booked is the Camelback Resort, which is basically a timeshare of condos. It was still nice and the rooms were three times as large as we would have gotten and were less then $80 a day. They had a saltwater pool and jacuzzi, a volleyball court with sand, croquet, a game room with pool, miniature golf course. Although we didn't stay at the Camelback Inn we spent a lot of time there at the pool, having breakfast and what not. The town of Cave Creek is our favorite spot to eat though. So many cool places. We had dinner at the Cave Creek Coffee Company. (good wine, beer, eats and live music). The music wasn't as good as last time so Sheryl suggested, "The Satisfied Frog". Great music. And isn't that a great pic of us?

We got up early on Saturday and did 3 mile hike around Pinnacle Peak, shown here. The houses at that base of this place are huge. You can see one of them at the bottom of this picture. I can't figure out why anyone needs a house so big. They probably only spend the winter months in them as well.

I started to get grumpy on Monday night. I just can't take the heat. I don't know how anyone can be totally satisified in that. Although it is green, the plants are beautiful and you actually get thunder, lightning and rain which would be nice. All in all, it was a good time.

10 comments:

Jen said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun, and I wish that I had been there with you!

Sheryl said...

I'm certainly glad that at least one picture turned out well enough to post.

I'm sorry I kept missing your calls on Monday. I would have loved to hook up with you again if my plans hadn't gotten changed for me.

The heat do suck, don't it?

~Cynthia~ said...

I'm glad you got to take some time for a little retreat. I've only been to Arizona once and have never had the desire to do it again. Just way too hot and deserty looking for me.

Ang said...

You two look so cute in the picture. Sounds like you had a really nice weekend, I have yet to visit my mom and need to get down there at some point. Maybe a nice retreat in the middle of our ugly winters!

Matt-n-Jef said...

No worries on Monday night. I ended up staying at the condo while they went out and played. I was a little cranky and down and needed to have some alone time.

Grandmajoann said...

Well, I am certainly glad you were able to leave that lovely 75 degree weather in San Diego and see how the rest of us live. You did pick the hottest town to go to though. It looks just beautiful. And, I must say you and Sheryl look very nice together, and I am glad you were able to hook up with each other.

Tilley/Booth said...

What a great picture! I loved Phoenix, we had a great time when we went. Our resort was fabulous and free!

Sheryl said...

Jo! I didn't know you were here! That's awesome.

Matt-n-Jef said...

Oh my gosh.. Jo went to Phoenix and didn't tell the mom? You are a very bad girl.. LOL!!!

Sheryl said...

No, she came to Phoenix and visited me.

I didn't know she was back on the blogs!