Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Personally Handcrafted Fireplace

During the renovation, we had to tear down the old brick chimney. Instead of building a new one we tore out the old fireplace and found fireplaces on the internet that were gas and vents outside like a clothes dryer does. No need for a chimney anymore. So they installed the fireplace and I found a mantel on the internet that matched the craftsman style of the house and instead of buying one, I build this myself. I also decided to add shelves on each side to hold DVDs & CD's.

Took me a while to figure out exactly how I was going to do it. It was a lot of wood cuts, staining, sanding, sealing. Most of the outside had to be glued on, as I didn't want nail holes showing and I didn't want to fill them because I wasn't sure the putty would stain right.
This is so much nicer then the old wood burning fireplace we add. Old ugly brick from the 1920's when the house was built.
I sure will miss all the craftsman style of this house when we move. Houses these days are just thrown up with Home Depot crap molding, all looking the same and as drap as the next door neighbors. I always wanted to own one of those old Victorian homes in Salt Lake. Guess thats why I fell in love with this place.. Our house is one of the few in our neighborhood that have character. All the others have been stuccoed... YUCK!!!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Oh my gosh I need to come see your house. It looks absolutely beautiful. I love that fireplace and the colors of the wall. You did a really good job. Love you!

Sheryl said...

Yup, the house is awesome! I'm not sure why you would want to sell it and move. Your neighborhood cannot be any worse than mine!

Steph Thompson said...

Your house is gorgeous! I forgot from when I was down there too long ago how pretty it was! I am planning on coming to Disney Land and Sea World in the Spring, I would love to have you come again or we can do anything!

Ang said...

I need to learn to do the tile on the fireplace. I am a littles scared though. I originally hated the tile on our fireplace but since we painted the fireplace and the wall it is much more tolerable.

The tile at the base of it is really cracked though and needs to be redone badly. Maybe we will give it ago as yours looks amazing!

Grandmajoann said...

I would say that this is a perfect fireplace. You really did a super job! I love your entire house, and I agree with Sheryl, you should go into the interior and exterior design field. Of course maybe it wouldn't be as fun as doing your own.
Love ya bunches!