Wednesday, July 30, 2008

ROCK ON!!!


A 5.4 earthquake hit near LA
yesterday and it rocked and rolled us here in San diego for 20-30 seconds.
Doesn't seem long, but trust me when you are thinking to yourself; is this going to stop, keep going, get worse, what should I do next? It seems longer. It definately put a jolt in my pacemaker for a good 20 minutes. It is very unsettling to fill the earth under you roll back and forth.

The map on the right shows all the earthquakes in CA and Nevada over the last week. (477 total). Which is pretty normal. You can pull up this map any week of the year and it looks like this always.

The big blue one at the bottom is the one that hit yesterday. I believe there were 70 aftershocks and they say another one could hit today.

9 comments:

Sheryl said...

I wondered if you felt that one. Pretty unsettling, huh? Right after we moved to Las Vegas we had one. It was about midnight and I was folding clothes. It takes a few seconds to figure out what is going on. It was kind of a rolling motion and made me think I was just dizzy until I noticed the chandelier swaying.

Matt-n-Jef said...

Yup.. I kind of sat here for a few asking myself,"is this for real"?

Jen said...

I'm glad that you are okay. I often wonder what will happen when we are hit by one. Since my house is made out of cinderblocks without any wooden studs I figure that if we are hit by a big one my house will probably crumble.

Jessica said...

Glad you are OK

Matt-n-Jef said...

Luckily our earthquake building codes here are very strict. They said yesterday, that is why there was no damage in and around the earthquake zone.

Ang said...

I am one of those ignorant people that sometimes think I would like to experience an earthquake. Realistically though I would just want to feel a baby one that is short and just gives me an idea of what it is. I would be a dear caught in the headlights I am sure of it!
I can only imagine how surreal it feels to know the earth underneath you and is in motion. Earth is so cool!

Steph Thompson said...

I probably would have peed in my pants! I read a really interesting article from an earthquake expert a while ago that said that you should get into the fetal position and lye next to something, never underneath things. If you are under things like a table, you will be squashed. But if you are next to the table it creates a void. I thought that that was interesting as we teach kids in school to get under their desks!

Tilley/Booth said...

I think you should just move back here big mama so I don't have to worry about you so much:)

Aaron had been working there for a week. The earthquake hit as he was on the plane back home.

Come and visit me, I miss you like crazy!

Matt-n-Jef said...

Yea Steph you hit it on the button. I don't know why they keep teaching kids that. Thats the reason a whole school of kids was found dead in Mexico under all the rubble. You are supposed to lay next to and up against something. Not under it.