Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Breaking And Entering Christmas

So we have this local radio station whom for 11 years during Christmas has received letters from teachers, about their students who are living around the poverty level. Trying to get their students a house full of dreams. Usually it is a student, who even though they have so little, have big hearts. Unfortunately, they can only pick one letter from all of those sent in to suprise with a Christmas dream.

What they do, is read the letter on the air of the family who will be surprised that year on the radio a week before it takes place. Of course the family has no idea what is going to take place. Here is this years letter. Click on the Breaking and Entering letter for 2008.

http://jeffandjer.star941sandiego.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=jeffandjer_archive.xml

Somehow every year, they get the family out of the house. This year, the family has no house and lives in a shed. This breaking and entering will take place this Thursday. It sounds like the family may get a house. Which is way above and beyond what they have ever done before.

Anyhow.. every year, they go in.. decorate the inside and outside with lights, a christmas tree with presents underneath, all over the house, leave them money, a car in their driveway (as most don't have cars) new TV's, beds, sheets, toys galore, clothes for the whole family, a fridge and cupboards full of food, on and on... The letter's make me cry so hard.

Then, the day of the breaking in (730am Pacific time) they broadcast it on the radio (listen live) http://www.star941sandiego.com as it happens (which is usually less then a half hour) The whole house (actually its usually an apartment) is left full to the hilt with everything the family needs. Nobody ever stays behind to see the families reaction. Its always kept private and of course leaves you so happy for that family. How wonderful would it be to come home to everything new.. that people really do care.. I can't even imagine.

Although the reading of the letter is full of stupidity before they even read it, I urge you to listen to it. Every year, when I hear this, I cry my eyes out and wish I could do the same for some unsuspecting family.

Of course, I will post the actual event when it takes place this Thursday. The true meaning of Christmas. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to give like this every year.

4 comments:

Eve said...

It sounds awesome. These things always moves me to tears, too.

Jen said...

What an incredible thing to do! Hopefully it really makes the difference in the lives of some deserving family.

The radio station that I listen to does some similar givaways, but not on such a grand scale. They provide Christmas gifts and financial help to several families each year. That absolutely is the true spirit of Christmas.

Grandmajoann said...

Be sure and remind us. I know we will all get busy and forget. Well, maybe not. Tomorrow is Thursday!
Love ya and good luck with Bryce tomorrow. I hope he is better, and I hope it is just the flu or something that will go away in a few days.

Ang said...

Every time Christmas rolls around I start thinking of all the things I would love to do. Then I start adding things up and I just don't know how I would do it. We always try to do something whether it is the giving tree's at the stores or someone at the kids school that is in need but I always wish we could do more. Someday!